Some sources say that Castel di Fiori (591 yds above sea level) already
was a Castrum in roman times; others say that it was built in the 12th
century, but it is certain that it was named Castrum Florae by the Count
of Marsciano in the 13th century.
During the wars between Orvieto and Perugia it was taken over and destroyed
The owners changed, it belonged to the Orsinis, the Monandeschi della
Vipera and in 1389 the mercenary leader Filippo di Venezia. The laiter
took it, because Pope Urbano VI had had refused him the payment.
1393 it was conquered by Giovanni Tarlati with 400 horsemen and 200 footmen.
The tower of the city dates back to this unruly 14th century and was part
of a line of defences built to defend the area from further attempts of
In the 15th century the citizens had a peaceful time under the rule of
the count of Marsciano. In 1507 it was attacked again, this time by the
count of the nearby Montegiove.
those hectic times Castel di Fiori once again belonged to the Count Ludovico
the 16th century Castel di Fiori went to the Vatican, but the authority
remained with the Marsciano Family.
last Heiress was Guiseppina Marocchi, called 'la signorina' by the citizens,
seeing as she was very devouted to the church
and remained childless for that very reason. After her death the authority
went back to the church.
Up to the present, big parts of the forests and fields belong to the church.
The fortress and the manor were sold to a roman family around 1990.
di Fiori has curently 12 citizens.
On weekends, in the holidays and whenever possible 20 additional visitors
come to the town.
Then Castel di Fiori becomes international. Italians, British, Australians,
Swiss and Germans have restored the old houses in and around Castel di
Fiori with great care in the past twenty years and use every possible
opportunity to escape the city of Rome.
every friend and acquaintance comes to Ferragosto, the town sometimes
houses up to 100 people.